We are seeking a…
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
About the Position
This is a contract position that reports to and works in partnership with the Executive Director. The Development Director will spearhead development efforts to ensure Heroes Linked’s growth. A new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to build the development function.
The Director of Development is responsible for creating and executing the vision, mission, and strategy for development activities at Heroes Linked, including grant opportunity identification, event management, and donor relations. The Director of Development will effectively network with individuals, corporate and foundation representatives, and the veteran community to raise funds.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this contract position is $75,000 to $85,000 commensurate with experience. Work duties will be remote with meetings conducted both in-person and via video conference platforms.
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan. The plan should include strategies for special events, individual giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, and foundation support.
- Raise approximately $600,000.00 over a 12-month period (to include cash and in-kind) through solicitations to individuals, foundations, and corporations as well as through Heroes Linked’s two annual major fundraising events.
- Enter gift and other donor data and send acknowledgment letters in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain relationships with major donors and corporate partners.
- Develop and submit proposals as well as interim and final reports for all foundation and corporate donors.
- Design and coordinate special events.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Design and update the annual fundraising development plan. Generate innovative ideas to fundraise, extend media, maximize impact, and breakthrough to target audiences.
- Donor prospecting: Forge relationships with new supporters, donors, and veteran entities.
- Manage all fundraising activities, including corporate sponsorships, grants, annual giving program, planned giving, special events, and major gifts.
- Donor stewardship: Nurture existing relationships with supporters, donors, and other partners.
- Provide detailed summaries and presentations of project status and post-event reports.
Grant Management (30%)
- Research grant opportunities
- Coordinate site visits and other activities with foundation leadership.
- Write and submit proposals, interim and final reports
- Maintain office files, including project, vendor, and other files related to fundraising and donor stewardship activities.
- Draft correspondence, including outreach, direct mail, other appeals, and thank you letters.
- Assist with the creation of marketing materials.
- Maintain industry, business contacts, Outlook contacts, and mailing/email database lists.
- Perform accounting tasks (invoicing, billing, and budgeting) as they relate to fundraising and special events.
Marketing and Outreach (20%)
- Increase Heroes Linked’s presence at community events, seminars, and conferences.
- Expand Heroes Linked’s digital footprint through social media and email campaigns.
- Serve as a Heroes Linked ambassador, meeting with other foundations, community organizations, and grantees.
- Participate in partnerships and other collaborative opportunities with other grant-makers and nonprofit organizations.
Other duties as assigned.
- BA (required)
- Minimum 4 years of fundraising and special events experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in project management and communication.
- Proficiency with donor management software.
- Experience in the veterans space preferred.
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrable track record of fundraising success.
- Experience initiating and conducting donor visits and calls.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships.
- Solid understanding of best practices related to fundraising and special events.
- A high level of accountability with a focus on meeting deadlines.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with a proven ability to tell a compelling story.
- Proficiency at an intermediate level with fundraising software, database applications, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, writing samples, and documentation of past successes for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are unable to accept direct inquiries about this position.